Recent rapid spread of Corona virus has caused a chaos in whole world. It has affected more than 100 locations. Many researchers are carrying out studies and research about this.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared this rapidly spreading outbreak as a pandemic. Most affected countries till now are China, Italy and Iran. There is screening of people at airports. Many countries have closed schools, colleges and universities. People are advised to stay at home.
Recently a Facebook post stated that Researchers from Harvard have claimed that 70% of humankind will be infected by corona virus. They have also predicted that “It can take many months to find a cure for this virus”.
There are an estimated 7.6 billion people in the world and if this projection proves correct then this virus can affect 5.32 billion people. Some other predictions are similar. The Guardian reported that this virus can effect 60% of population.
But it is just a projection. An epidemiologist at the university also said that not the humankind but this virus can affect 40-70% adult population of world. They projected that the number of cases today is nothing compared to what is going to happen in coming months.
Stress And Panic
The corona virus epidemic is causing stress and anxiety in people. As people are worrying about their loved ones.
People who are already suffering with mental health issues are the most vulnerable. We have to take measures against this virus. But we should also make sure that fear does not take over our lives.
Above all, health experts say it’s crucial not to let panic take over our decision-making and rational thought processes. Otherwise, “the price to pay” could be “much greater than the threat the virus poses.”
To avoid stress and anxiety, we should practice good self-care and avoid the herd mentality. People should read news from reliable source. If mental health issue becomes serious then seek professional help.
How To Prepare, Not Panic
The following actions help prevent the spread of corona virus:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water.
- Anyone who has a fever and respiratory symptoms should not fly at all if possible.
- Even if a person has symptoms that feel like just a cold, he or she should wear a mask on an airplane.
- Drink water after regular intervals.
- Obtain several weeks of medications and supplies in case you need to stay home for prolonged periods of time.
- Avoid crowds.
- Store the necessary supplies at home in case of any lock down.
- Maintain a healthy immunity system.
- Eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Get enough sleep.
- Don’t smoke.Take a multivitamin if you suspect that you may not be getting all the nutrients you need through your diet.
- Control your stress level.
- Control your blood pressure.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Use hand sanitizers.
- Take acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen for pain and fever.
- Use a clean humidifier or cool mist vaporizer.
Fortunately, most pandemics disappear almost as quickly as they begin. Nobody should be blamed for unwittingly infecting others, obviously; we’re all in this together.
We should just learn about the pandemic and take the necessary precautions. And we should manage our mental well being in such times of uncertainty.
But don’t be surprised, when things eventually return to normal, if it isn’t quite the normal we knew.