Everything we know SO FAR about Coronavirus! (Statistics, symptoms and treatment)

Share:

Coronavirus – the deadly disease originating from China- has already spread far and wide. With the virus now affecting over 50 countries, it is seeming almost impossible to contain its outspread.

Image result for coronavirusHere’s everything we know about the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak so far:

Total cases

The World has recorded more than 80,000 cases of coronavirus up till now. With around 35,000 cases closed, there are still more than 45,000 cases of coronavirus-infected patients currently active! China has, of course, suffered the most from the outbreak. Over 75,000 of the 80,000+ cases originate from China, with South Korea having the most cases (1500+) outside of China.

Image result for coronavirus

Coronavirus in Pakistan

Dr. Zafar Mirza confirmed on Wednesday that two cases of coronavirus have been diagnosed in Pakistan, in the cities of Karachi and Islamabad. Both of the patients developed the symptoms of the virus after returning from Iran. But, there is no need to panic; Dr. Zafar Mirza assured the country. He said on his twitter account that things are under control and that the patients are in stable condition.

Deaths and recoveries

Fortunately, most of the people affected with the COVID-19 coronavirus have recovered.
From the closed cases: the death toll so far is around 3000 while the recovered cases stack up to more than 30,000.

These statistics show that only 2% of the patients suffering from the virus have, unfortunately, died while the rest (the majority) i.e. 98% of the patients recovered!
Observations so far reveal that the risk of death increases the older you are.

Image result for coronavirus

 

Symptoms of Coronavirus

Coronavirus (COVID-19) typically causes flu-like symptoms including a fever and cough. In some patients, in particular, the elderly and others with some other chronic health conditions, these symptoms can develop into pneumonia, with chest tightness, chest pain, and shortness of breath.

It seems to start with a fever, followed by a dry cough. After a week, it can lead to shortness of breath, with about 20% of patients requiring hospital treatment. Notably, the coronavirus infection rarely seems to cause a runny nose, sneezing, or sore throat (these symptoms have been observed in only about 5% of patients). Sore throat, sneezing,and stuffy nose are most often signs of a cold.

Image result for coronavirus

In very critical cases, the symptoms can include: respiratory failure, septic shock, and multi-organ failure.

Transmission

While there is limited research available on the subject, researchers believe that the virus spreads through the fluids in the respiratory system, such as mucus etc.

Precautions, Diagnosis and Treatment

A doctor can diagnose a case of coronavirus by taking a sample of respiratory fluids, such as mucus from the nose, or blood. Although huge efforts are being made, so far, no cure for the virus has been developed. These include extensive research on the virus and development and experimentation of new drugs with the end goal being a definite cure for coronavirus.

Image result for coronavirus

Researchers say that about 80% of the affected people have mild disease. This means that they will clear the infection on their own  For protection and prevention of the virus, people can self-care and take the following precautionary steps:

  • resting and avoiding overexertion
  • drinking enough water
  • avoiding smoking and smoky areas
  • taking acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen for pain and fever.
  • using a clean humidifier or cool mist vaporizer.

Hopefully, the research soon bears fruit and a definite cure is developed at the soonest.

 

Read next: Irani health minister contracts coronavirus……

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *